Sunday, August 12, 2012

Nairobi Day 4 - Part 1

This is funny. God has a sense of humor when I'm in Nairobi. Really.

Its not the first time He has used Church as a means of sending me a message and just making me laugh out loud at how dumb I was to underestimate His reach on me. He is ever-knowing and He shows it to me in the most surprising way ever. I'm quite touched at the lengths He has gone to reach out to me. :)

So I wanted to go to a different church this Sunday cause I wanted to avoid people I know in Nairobi who frequents my previous church. Even though I love the worship there, I still chose to seek out a different church just cause of my fear in meeting people. When I entered this church, the smallness of it, the location and how remote it was comforted me that this would be a cozy session. I reached church half an hour early and was greeted warmly by the Reverend and his wife and they accompanied me throughout until worship started. I was introduced to the worship team, to the service lead, it was humbling and very nice. I knew at once this will be an All-African service.

Worship started and guess who strolls in? None other than the number 1 undesirable I never wanted to meet ever in my time in Nairobi. He came in with his family and sat on the bench right in front of me. WHAT!!!!!!! And of course, he turned around and I was sticking out like a sore thumb (the only pale face in the entire congregation and wearing a freaking bright yellow cardigan that draws anyones eyes to me instantly). So he was surprised and I was smiling and waved courteously to him but my mind was racing like crazy and I was just thinking, "Seriously God... Seriously".  And then I couldn't help it, thinking about the absurdity of it all and how ridiculously remote the possibility of meeting this chap was and how it was all brought together in a small church setting that can only be brought together by divine intervention just culminated... and I just started laughing out loud and smiling crazily. What a way to get me on this Sunday morning.

I felt a huge weight lifted off my chest and I knew that He meant for me to be there and that He is assuring me I have nothing to be afraid of nor embarrassed nor find any reason to hide away from people. I thoroughly enjoyed worship that morning, the choir was enthusiastic and lively and the songs were all familiar and there was amazing presence in the hall. Sermon, was interestingly relevant but long. In a nutshell, the sermon was about how God has a plan for everything and even when things seem low, if we keep our eyes on Him, we will see the good of it all. A typical sermon topic but just what I needed to hear after the revelation last night.

Ended up chatting with the "guy" for awhile after the 2.5hour service and it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. I did found out that people were stalking me on fb cause the first thing he said to me was, i thought u were going UK to study. OMG.

Made my way down to Junction to meet Grace for lunch where she was absolutely tickled at my story of how God was working on me that morning.


No comments: