Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Nairobi Day 17 - Hells Gate

I went to Hells Gate again today with the usual Trio.

Did something that I never thought I would have done and am glad I did it. I mountain climb today! On a real mountain! Not like those fake wall things we have back home. Real Rocks, Real Crevices, Real Danger! It was tiring but I'm glad I made it through, albeit with some scratches and a sore arm.




Kook and I both did it. Gik stayed below and took pictures, he said he was too heavy to do it and he had done it before elsewhere. 

We then went to explore the Gorge itself. It was as beautiful as I remember it. But apparently, a few months ago, it had been close because there was a huge flood and 7 children died in there. The ranger was telling us all about it and how it had taken them days to find the bodies of the children. Sad Sad.


Well, as usual clumsy ole me had an accident while hiking around this area. We went to see a geyser that was sprouting out hot water and everyone was wearing proper hiking boots except me. I didnt bring mine and was wearing my Keen outdoor sandals. I stepped over a crack in the floor which the ranger did not realize had steam gas streaming out of it. It burnt my feet immediately and I felt the pain ran through the sides of my foot. My foot was burnt, or at least the open areas that was exposed by my sandals and it became a bloody pain to walk.

But I couldnt slow the group down with it, so had to bear it and walk for another hour to reach back to base camp. By then, my foot just felt too numb to feel any pain and I got to wash it when I went back home. Its ok.

Before heading home, kook wanted to eat at a local eatery Nyama Choma (which means mixed meat in Swahili) We went to an ultra local place in a runaway town we came across. To this dodgy butchery and enjoyed our meal of roasted beef and chicken. They serve the meat to you in a chopping board with a machete and covered with newspaper to prevent flies from getting it.



Yup, we are in Africa so we eat like Africans.

At night, I got treated by P'Nui at her place. She had cooked authentic Thai Beef Noodles and invited me over. It was really good and I had two bowls. (I would say almost as good as Aunty Jennifer's!) We then ended the night by watching Hangover 2 at her place. Funny show and good that it was shot at Bangkok so everyone could relate to it.




No comments: