Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Nairobi day 19 - Last Day

On my last day, I woke up and baked cookies - Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies. Dont know whats up with my obsession with baking nowaday, a few days ago I had baked banana bread.

Anyway, Paul came to pick me up and we went for a light snack at about 11.00a.m at Art caffe at Westgate where I taught him all about Picasa, Gmail and web albums.

At about 1.00pm, Gik came to fetch me home so I could finish packing, have lunch with Kook and him and rest a little before heading to the airport. This day was becoming a little more surreal with each passing hour.

At 3.30p.m, we left the house and soon encountered the usual Traffic Jam towards the airport. As my flight was at 6.00p.m, I felt quite comfortable with the timing.
 
By 4.00p.m, I realized with a gasp that I had left my iphone behind in the house and quickly urged Gik to turn right back around and go home to get it. He sighed and turned back the car. We reached home at 4.16p.m.

And then that was when I started panicking and hyperventilating. How the hell am I going to reach airport asap??? Gik took my hand and assured me he can make it.

He drove like the DEVIL to get to the airport. He sped in every intersection, weaved through cars and went on sideroads as much as possible. Even when the traffic cops were around, he just ignored them and blazed through. I just looked at him in silence and amazement as he expertly maneuvered around the cars, honking his way through traffic. If i was ever stuck somewhere and need to get anywhere, I'm telling you, Gik's the man to call on.

I arrived in the airport at 5.05p.m, sweating and panicking. By the time I rushed inside, Qatar airways was dismantling their counter as they have already closed it. WHAT!

I started asking them to check in my luggage and telling them I have already checked in. They said no way were they going to allow me in. Gik then walked in and requested from the manager to let me through. At the same time, a group of 6 came running in late as well.

I think because of all these factors, they re-opened the gate and I managed to get onto the flight. Phew.

I cried at the airport though. Gik thought I was rather silly and forbid me to shed a tear. But you know what that does to me, it'll just make me cry even more. And I even had to be comforted by the stewardess on the plane. Hahaha so embarassing.

Oh yea, and i got bumped up to business class cause I was so late. Hahahahahahahaha

What a way to end my Nairobi Adventure. 

No comments: