Slept unbelievably well last night! Normally, when im travelling, everytime I head to a new place (either staying over at a chalet or a 5 star hotel), if it is a new bed, I wouldnt be able to have a good night sleep and would need at least one day to adjust. But surprisingly... I slept throughout the night in the lodge! I must have been really tired or I am truly, one with Africa (Hur Hur)
Anyway, this morning, we had to get up at 6.00am to go for the earliest game drive at 6.30a.m. We wanted to catch a glimpse of the lions in a bush. As we proceeded out of the camp, the sunrise greeted us with a spectacular view.
Amazing isnt it. Steals my breath away. We didnt see much animals and have now come to terms that Samburu Savannah isnt meant for seeing animals. Its more of enjoying the scenery and the drive.
We spotted the lions in the bush and were waiting for them to come out. All of a sudden, it started moving out and we drove closer for a better look. Alamak!!!! The car got stuck in a ditch and it couldnt come out. So there we were, 8 people seating in the car like sitting ducks, ready for the lionness to pounce on us if she realized how hapless we were at that time. After about 10mins of ramming and reving, the driver finally managed to get us out of the ditch and we went ahead with the drive.
Just before the end of our 2 hour game drive, we spotted a natural spring in the middle of the safari! OMG! the water was crystal clear and you can see the outline of the rocks below. It was so tempting to jump in...
So we did!!!!! I didnt have any swimming gear and was tempted to strip down to my undies and jump in. But there were some Australian soldiers around and I felt a need to show some modesty. Gik volunteered to strip off his boxers and pass it to me to jump in so I didnt have to soak my jeans. And thats what I did! Wearing only my yellow shirt and his boxers, I jumped right into the spring! It was euphoria! Altogether 4 of us jumped down, well, not Gik of course. He doesnt like getting wet.
The water was very warm and it was just a joy to be able to swim around like this. But we paid a price for it when we got out of the rocks. Not only was it difficult to climb up (I ended up with bruises and scratches on my calves and butt and arms) but we also started shivering the minute we got up. As I didnt have any dry clothes, Gik again kindly offered his shirt to me to wear! So the picture below basically shows me wearing ALL of Gik's clothes! His dry inner shirt and his boxers! Hahahahah
He was left wearing a jacket and cargo pants only. Hee Hee.. We took so long at the spring, we almost didnt make it back to the camp in time for a real breakfast.
Along the drive, we saw this... the cheetah trail. Cool right! You can see the paws! We spotted this in the morning.
When we got back to the camp, I started getting this massive headache! Well Professor Gik said it was because of the rush of adrenaline I had from the spring jump and then the lack of water and proper sleep. Anyway, I tried to sleep rather unsuccessfully in the lodge, when I got up a little bit "seh", I started puking. That was when I knew things were going to be bad.
For lunch, they served pasta so I ate a bit and shortly after, started puking again!!! Oh dear.
We had to stay in camp until 3.30p.m for our next drive so I again, tried rather unsuccessfully to sleep. No chance. Kook and I went to take a swim at the pool, we saw some elephants.. by the time we lazed around and finally got me-time at the lodge, it was about time to go too.
I was feeling so sick that i almost wanted to skip the game drive and just stay in the lodge. But I told myself what a waste of 600USD to sleep in. Its only a 3 hour drive and I should just bear it.
So off we went again, our next game drive to a separate park. Oh we saw this monkey with bright blue balls. Hahahaha
Was feeling in a prissy mood and getting annoyed at having to wash my hair so many times in the day. I hate washing my hair so took Gik's fishing hat to wear on the entire drive. Until it started getting blown away because we were traveling at a god-forbidden speed.
Our highlight of the drive was coming across a pack of cubs and lioness just strolling around. It wandered around the vans of people and was oblivious to our incessant clicking and oohings and aahings...
Hitting sunset as we end off yet another day in Samburu.
On the way back, we stopped by the village area of our guide, Aloi and he showed us his daughter and girlfriend. They practice polygamy here, the same as the Masai Mara warriors and he intends to have 3 wives.
On the way back, we found out we have been in the park for far too long, way past the allocated time of 6.30p.m. No vehicle action in the park from 6.30pm to 6.30p.m apparently. We drove back with lightning speed and reached Ashnil at 7p.m.
By then, I was quite ill and I skipped dinner altogether. Gik still convinced me to at least join the group which I did. For an hour, and then they started digressing into Thai and I felt left out and for the first time, I felt like I was wasting my time sitting in the dining table, attempting to understand and follow a conversation in a foreign language. So I went off back to my cabin alone, took a bath, sat in bed, played games and read. I felt better doing things I wanted to do, even if it is by myself.
Gik came back an hour later and we chatted before falling asleep. Its also nice knowing that a guy comes back home and still makes energy to talk to you until you get tired and sleep. :)
Anyway, this morning, we had to get up at 6.00am to go for the earliest game drive at 6.30a.m. We wanted to catch a glimpse of the lions in a bush. As we proceeded out of the camp, the sunrise greeted us with a spectacular view.
We spotted the lions in the bush and were waiting for them to come out. All of a sudden, it started moving out and we drove closer for a better look. Alamak!!!! The car got stuck in a ditch and it couldnt come out. So there we were, 8 people seating in the car like sitting ducks, ready for the lionness to pounce on us if she realized how hapless we were at that time. After about 10mins of ramming and reving, the driver finally managed to get us out of the ditch and we went ahead with the drive.
Just before the end of our 2 hour game drive, we spotted a natural spring in the middle of the safari! OMG! the water was crystal clear and you can see the outline of the rocks below. It was so tempting to jump in...
So we did!!!!! I didnt have any swimming gear and was tempted to strip down to my undies and jump in. But there were some Australian soldiers around and I felt a need to show some modesty. Gik volunteered to strip off his boxers and pass it to me to jump in so I didnt have to soak my jeans. And thats what I did! Wearing only my yellow shirt and his boxers, I jumped right into the spring! It was euphoria! Altogether 4 of us jumped down, well, not Gik of course. He doesnt like getting wet.
The water was very warm and it was just a joy to be able to swim around like this. But we paid a price for it when we got out of the rocks. Not only was it difficult to climb up (I ended up with bruises and scratches on my calves and butt and arms) but we also started shivering the minute we got up. As I didnt have any dry clothes, Gik again kindly offered his shirt to me to wear! So the picture below basically shows me wearing ALL of Gik's clothes! His dry inner shirt and his boxers! Hahahahah
He was left wearing a jacket and cargo pants only. Hee Hee.. We took so long at the spring, we almost didnt make it back to the camp in time for a real breakfast.
Along the drive, we saw this... the cheetah trail. Cool right! You can see the paws! We spotted this in the morning.
When we got back to the camp, I started getting this massive headache! Well Professor Gik said it was because of the rush of adrenaline I had from the spring jump and then the lack of water and proper sleep. Anyway, I tried to sleep rather unsuccessfully in the lodge, when I got up a little bit "seh", I started puking. That was when I knew things were going to be bad.
For lunch, they served pasta so I ate a bit and shortly after, started puking again!!! Oh dear.
We had to stay in camp until 3.30p.m for our next drive so I again, tried rather unsuccessfully to sleep. No chance. Kook and I went to take a swim at the pool, we saw some elephants.. by the time we lazed around and finally got me-time at the lodge, it was about time to go too.
I was feeling so sick that i almost wanted to skip the game drive and just stay in the lodge. But I told myself what a waste of 600USD to sleep in. Its only a 3 hour drive and I should just bear it.
So off we went again, our next game drive to a separate park. Oh we saw this monkey with bright blue balls. Hahahaha
Was feeling in a prissy mood and getting annoyed at having to wash my hair so many times in the day. I hate washing my hair so took Gik's fishing hat to wear on the entire drive. Until it started getting blown away because we were traveling at a god-forbidden speed.
Our highlight of the drive was coming across a pack of cubs and lioness just strolling around. It wandered around the vans of people and was oblivious to our incessant clicking and oohings and aahings...
Hitting sunset as we end off yet another day in Samburu.
On the way back, we stopped by the village area of our guide, Aloi and he showed us his daughter and girlfriend. They practice polygamy here, the same as the Masai Mara warriors and he intends to have 3 wives.
On the way back, we found out we have been in the park for far too long, way past the allocated time of 6.30p.m. No vehicle action in the park from 6.30pm to 6.30p.m apparently. We drove back with lightning speed and reached Ashnil at 7p.m.
By then, I was quite ill and I skipped dinner altogether. Gik still convinced me to at least join the group which I did. For an hour, and then they started digressing into Thai and I felt left out and for the first time, I felt like I was wasting my time sitting in the dining table, attempting to understand and follow a conversation in a foreign language. So I went off back to my cabin alone, took a bath, sat in bed, played games and read. I felt better doing things I wanted to do, even if it is by myself.
Gik came back an hour later and we chatted before falling asleep. Its also nice knowing that a guy comes back home and still makes energy to talk to you until you get tired and sleep. :)


No comments:
Post a Comment