Friday, August 10, 2012

Nairobi Day 1

Arrived in Nairobi somewhat alert. Stepping down the plane and feeling the blast of cool air hitting your face... You know you're back. :)

As I entered the airport terminal, Gik was there already. The wonders of being a diplomat... You get airport access that brings you right to the doorstep of the plane. It was nice being welcomed this way, the last time i was greeted immediately after disembarking from the plane was when Kenya authorities had a problem with my working pass and I needed an escort to guide me along the process. This was comparatively much better. But the poor boy had waited almost an hour cause my flight was slightly delayed. We battled the early morning traffic for 50 mins as we made our way back to the house, Naivasha 01.

Gik left for work after taking a short nap at home. I spent the next 2 hours at home on skype, messaging on my phone and playing games on my ipad. Paul called me out and asked me out for lunch! Whee! I knew I didnt need to make plans when im in Nairobi, things just sorta fall into place when the time comes!

Alright, so here has what changed physcially between these 2 boys I have met...
  • Gik has grown his hair LONG. Like ridiculously long. it looks like mine.  He has also lost weight (alot of it muscles) so he is even more lean than ever.
  • Paul has shaved his entire head so he looks like a shaolin monk. An Ang Moh Shao Lin Monk. He too has lost weight and put on more muscles cause his gym routine now includes weights training.
Paul came to fetch me and we had lunch at my favorite restaurant, Art Caffe where i snacked on Chicken Liver terrine and Eggplant carpaccio. Yummy.  Paul had chicken Schnitzel and half of everything I had. Typical. We then went to buy groceries at Nakumatt supermarket for the house before making our way to Junction mall to meet his mum, Grace. I love Grace, she is such a sweet person and I love making her happy by presenting her with dried mushrooms, black fungus, Ba Kwa and Mooncake! :)

Well I started telling Paul and Grace how much I love hot yoga and we did an internet search! Guess what, Nairobi has one and its at Lavington Green shopping mall, about 5 mins drive from where we were. Paul and I hopped onto the car and went searching for it. To my disappointment, the mall was still partially built so there wont be hot yoga for awhile until the construction is completed. :( Seng Mak Mak.

Well, not to give up on exercising, Paul and I went to the gym at Crowne Plaza hotel. Barely 10 mins passed and Gik messaged me that he was home. I completely forgot I had promised to meet him for dinner and i lost track of time. I finished my workouts and exercise routines quickly and raced back home in a cab. Took me less than 10 mins (thank goodness for shortcuts in Nairobi) and i reached the house. We left for new Jiangsu restaurant, this Chinese place we always go and had our usual pitan tofu and eggplant hotpot dish. We both couldnt finish the food so we packed it up and head home. By 10pm, i couldnt keep my eyes open anymore... The jet lag and the intense running about in the day was finally getting to me. I sleepily bathed, changed, crawled into bed and fell asleep. What about Gik? This boy had lazily dozed off by the couch with Paka wrapped around his chest. He stayed comatose till morning. What a common sight. Hahahaha... Yes, Its good to be back in Nairobi and heartening to see that things still remain the same. :)

No comments: