Classes held today invited speakers from the corporate world to talk to us on what are some of the jobs occupational psychologists were involved in?
The first speaker was from a "consulting" firm called 3minute mile and the second was from Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS).
I emphasized on the word "consulting" because I disagree that they are really consultants... based on what I hear and read about them, they do more assessments, profiling and coaching workshops... Hardly any consulting work in my perception, but hey, what do I know (I'm being sarcastic by the way). Well, maybe they do some consulting work, but it is very very specific to talent coaching.
Anyway, she was a really good speaker and the session was interactive.
The second speaker from RBS talked about how he was in charge of the assessments in RBS when it comes to selecting, evaluating and developing the people in the firm. I'm sorry but it sounds ultra boring to be sitting in an office all day looking at assessment measures, correlating data and going out to departments and tell them to administer the new assessments.
And then it hit me... Am I being so critical because I had already assumed I was returning back to Accenture to work and therefore not paying heed to these alternatives? Or am I being critical because after being in the workforce for some years, and getting cynically and realistically kicked around to reality, I have learned to decipher the BS they are pulling and uncover the real grime underneath?
Regardless of the reason, I needed to adopt a better attitude to this. One reason why I came to London was to figure out if going back to Accenture made sense? Sure, I (somewhat) love my job, I love the people, I love the culture, I am doing great there. But is that enough for me? Am I content to remain in the Management Consulting line? Even if I jump company, I'll still be doing MC work, is that what I want? Is my industry choice even something I'm comfortable with now? What else can I be doing?
One thing these 2 speakers made clear, I do not want a corporate-work-psychology job and I do not want to be entirely focused on only one specific aspect of Talent Management consulting. My job scope in Accenture still wins for now. But I should really start keeping my options open.
The first speaker was from a "consulting" firm called 3minute mile and the second was from Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS).
I emphasized on the word "consulting" because I disagree that they are really consultants... based on what I hear and read about them, they do more assessments, profiling and coaching workshops... Hardly any consulting work in my perception, but hey, what do I know (I'm being sarcastic by the way). Well, maybe they do some consulting work, but it is very very specific to talent coaching.
Anyway, she was a really good speaker and the session was interactive.
The second speaker from RBS talked about how he was in charge of the assessments in RBS when it comes to selecting, evaluating and developing the people in the firm. I'm sorry but it sounds ultra boring to be sitting in an office all day looking at assessment measures, correlating data and going out to departments and tell them to administer the new assessments.
And then it hit me... Am I being so critical because I had already assumed I was returning back to Accenture to work and therefore not paying heed to these alternatives? Or am I being critical because after being in the workforce for some years, and getting cynically and realistically kicked around to reality, I have learned to decipher the BS they are pulling and uncover the real grime underneath?
Regardless of the reason, I needed to adopt a better attitude to this. One reason why I came to London was to figure out if going back to Accenture made sense? Sure, I (somewhat) love my job, I love the people, I love the culture, I am doing great there. But is that enough for me? Am I content to remain in the Management Consulting line? Even if I jump company, I'll still be doing MC work, is that what I want? Is my industry choice even something I'm comfortable with now? What else can I be doing?
One thing these 2 speakers made clear, I do not want a corporate-work-psychology job and I do not want to be entirely focused on only one specific aspect of Talent Management consulting. My job scope in Accenture still wins for now. But I should really start keeping my options open.
No comments:
Post a Comment