Friday, September 28, 2012

10. Mid week. 2nd Day of Psychology orientation

Was called down to UCL to attend a compulsory health and safety talk which was scheduled from 1.15 to 1.30. I should have known better, the talk basically lasted for 4 minutes and can be summarized into this: In case of fire, run. They could have made a video for it instead of asking everyone to come down.

Well, I met some of the master students from my course and we went for a bite and a drink. Sandwiches and downed with a bottle of wine. And that was all from 2.00p.m till 4.00p.m. Crazy, who can say I'm not partying hard enough.

Came back to the Psychology building at 5.00p.m for yet another drink party with the professors where my program director (A very cute guy if I may add) spent alot of time conversing with us and introducing himself and the courses. I head back shortly after 6, cooked dinner, went out (to yes another!) drinking party again with the tenants in Shoreditch. We hung around the common room and chatted for awhile till 1 am. Would have stayed at home but felt compelled to go out cause we all need to make friends right?

Hmm.

I think I need to clarify my objectives said before. When I say I want to make friends, I think I need to be clear that its not about the quantity but about the quality of friends. In my accommodation and even in my course, most people I meet tend to be young and their focus in life now is to have fun. And they achieve that by going out to drink, party (almost every night) and forming cliques and bitching/ gossiping about other people. I think I can carry on this facade that I do like this kind of lifestyle for 1 or 2 more days but at the end, I just want to find a nice restaurant, have a nice leisure dinner with a glass of wine, come home early, settle in and curl up in my nice warm bed. Whats wrong with that? Who can I find who can do that with me here? Who has the resources, the mentality and the same aloof attitude towards binging and clubbing as I have?

Sure, clubbing and drinking now and then is fun but I'm not here to do it every night. And if thats what it takes to make friends here... then I'd really rather not join in.

It's still early. It's only been 2 weeks, I cant expect to meet people with the same outlook as me straightaway. For now, I'm content staying at home and bothering people from Singapore on Skype. :P

No comments: