Tuesday, September 17, 2013

First day at work

The weekend passed by very quickly, most of the time we were busy unpacking and repacking. We also spent the day clearing up administrative work that included responding to emails and buying household staff.  Also managed to head down to Selfridges to buy some shirts, suit carrier bag and acrylic organizers. Dinner on Sat was a lovely veal cooked by Sam (with a rather funny incident of misplacing the sous vide vacuum sealer and the hobs showing error signs) and dinner on Sunday was a nice lazy order in of our all-time favourite meal: sushi.

Needless to say, we went to bed early on Sunday night so we could get a fresh and early start for work. Got up at 6.45am, had breakfast, both a little frazzled and a little annoyed at each other over little things, like where the wardrobe door was placed, why must you go to the toilet at THIS time, making stupid and sarcastic comments that were not necessary. Guess it was all to be expected, we were both a little nervous about the first day of work. Oh well, nothing a little kiss on the cheek and a hug afterwards can’t resolve. We both left the house, nicely dressed and excited about getting to work. He walked me to the bus stop (which was just right outside our place, how cool is that!) and I was off to my very first day.

Walked right into office, met many people (need to start remembering names) and got introduced to a tonne of stuff, new things I need to remember, new procedures and tools that I need to learn. Oh oh oh! I also got shiny new toys! First, a dell Laptop, very small, very slim , much lighter than the one ACN used to give and…. Guess what… for my work phone… a brand new black iPhone5! How cool is that. Anyway, that was probably the only high for the day, they do not have a firm program for new comers so I’m pretty much left on my own to read up on stuff and until I meet my performance manager (whom I still do not know), I just need to find stuff to self-entertain. This should go on for the next 3 weeks until I start shadowing people and get hands on experience. Exactly what I expected the first few days would be anyway.

Sam’s first day was much more exciting. He was whirled into endless meetings and his mailbox which was activated 2 weeks ago had 3000+ unread emails when he opened it (Oh my Gosh!). He went for lots of coffee meeting and now needs to learn some new things very quickly before his 3 to 4 weeks trip to Asia Pacific. While I left work at 5.15pm, he left work at 8pm! While we were discussing about it at night, we both did conclude that it had been an eventful first day for the both of us. We enjoyed a lovely Argentinian steak dinner which was just right outside our house. It’s been a very comfortable start so far, both in my personal life and at work, all is good for now. :)

No comments: