Thursday, September 26, 2013

A little explanation on what I do...

Work has been ramping up and I just completed my second shadowing session. So, to make it simpler to explain my work...

We get called by companies to evaluate, recommend and develop very senior people (The C-suite range or one or two levels below it- i.e.very high ranking individuals). These people get scheduled into a one on one interview that lasts for 4 hours. During which we talk about certain topics that range from childhood, early life, early career, current job etc etc. Then we administer psychometric tests, feedback the results and interview them further. At the end of it, we provide a very detailed report on who they are, their strengths, their weaknesses, how they think, how they make decisions, how they behave, how they interact with people and most importantly, do they have the potential to be future leaders. We also invite them back for another 2 hours to feedback to them and debrief them on why we think they are good and why we think they are bad or should not be recommended. This is all calibrated through a range of very structured questions, deep insights harnessed by years of psychology and experience and to some degree, the use of proper data to make our judgments.

What this means is you are actively engaged, mentally and physically for four hours straight in one interview, observing, interpreting, jotting down notes like crazy, prompting and asking questions and then finally, summarizing and synthesizing a whole chunk of information into a concise report that needs to be insightful, relevant and to some extent, a little provoking. And this is only one area of work we do. And it is this area I need to start training myself up to be good at so I can run a whole session on my own. My goal is to use the next 3 months to obtain what my company calls a sign off. A sign off that I'm ready to go do this on my own without supervision and after which I can be commercially indispensable because that means, I get to be a billable employe.


No comments: