Tuesday, March 07, 2006

re-thinking hong kong

I think there's a high chance that i'll get the Hongkong internship.

I received news that they're now looking for 3 interns for each of the 2 position, not 1. which means that out of 12 applicants, 6 would be approved. Selection ratio has increased from one sixth to half... I would just be competing against ONE person. Whats so hard bout that?

All right, maybe im not that good and there's lots of factors that would work against me like... i dont speak cantonese, my command of the chinese language is just "awesome", and i dont exactly have extremely varied experiences of travelling alone.

i dont think i'll be upset if i dont get it... there's eXplor, there's local internships, there's well... someone... there's so many things i would look forward to doing. In other words, my BATNA (best alternative) is damn good.

If i do get it, it'll just open a can of worms... accomodation, transport, communications, money, safety... I've lost count of the number of talks i've had with my mum about this internship. what we're going to do, whats going to happen when i leave (if my sis gets her masters application approved, then when i'll be leaving from april to august, she'll be leaving in august for the next 2 years!). I mean, i love a good challenge, but not when it is at the expense of so many things.

There's just too many things holding me back in Singapore, things i dont want to let go... ever. With so many things, its almost impossible for me to go Hongkong with a peace of mind.

No comments: