Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Update number 2: What else have I been doing over the last week?

Monday night: Came back on Monday night from Venice and went straight back home. Took a quick shower before heading out to meet Sam for dinner. Ooh we ordered Sushi while I narrated my entire Venice trip to him and he told me of his Zurich skiing trip. 

Tuesday night: Went out with Martijn for a drink. Nice seeing an old friend visiting London. Makes me forget all the bad stuff work can bring and sometimes, you get genuine clients and true friendship you can trust.


Wednesday: Mad rush to finish my paper. I was so freaking scared that I could not complete it. Michael and I stayed at Shoreditch the entire time, moving from one place to another to finish our papers. The title of my essay: International Assignment: Does it just sound cool? An investigation of the organisational implications of International Assignment Experience.


Thursday night: hand in essay. Went for lunch with Min Joo. Class then shopping with Chun Wu. Bought a dress I shouldnt have and then went to watch Privates on Parade with Sam. It was really cool and interesting to hear the British account of their occupation in Singapore post-war. The musical comedy was revolving around a song and dance army unit stationed in Malaya and being attacked by communist party. Throughout the play, they used words like "ulu", "never mind la", "Chop Chop" and they referred to the people who attacked them as "Chan" and "Lee"... Hmm... don't think the audience get the insinuation and reference to Singapore. In fact, I was the only Asian there. It was mostly attended by Brits. But man, you gotta admit, watching plays/ musicals are really a cultural plus.

Friday: Got up early to go grocery shopping. Finally bought my fried tofu but its not the kind I want. I was looking for Tao pok, not tao gua.... oh well. The night ended on a drunken note when I went out with my coursemates for dinner and drinks at Wahaca. We reached back home in a stupor at 11pm. Not bad for a Friday night.


The weekend passed by in a relaxing, tranquil state of mind and I spent most of it with Sam. On Saturday I was craving for chinese food (must be because CNY is approaching) so we went to Yauatcha, crazily expensive place (100 pounds between 2 of us!) and we ordered xiao long bao (awesome! The best!), lobster dumpling (it was alright, not worth 11 pounds), seafood dumpling (ah... I miss this), siew mai (great!), baby Pak Choi (Awesome!) and BBQ Pork Ribs (Incredible!)

It was a really good lunch and we ended it with desserts and dessert wine. :) Stacey was happy.




Afterwards, we went to chill in a cafe to do work/ read and then went on separate ways. He caught up with his friends while I went out with Michael and his friends at Hoxton/Brick Lane. Settled on Indian for dinner and had a good chat. Nice meeting new people, even exchanged phone numbers with a French girl so we can keep in touch. Hee Hee. The only downer was that it started to pour and I was soaked by the time I reached home... Should have seen it as a sign, a foreboding sign... :(

Sunday morning I woke up to not so good news from back home. Ron Ron personally messaged me so I was drenched in tears and crying the whole morning. No point crying though cause nothing much I can do. Tried to get distracted the whole day so Sam took me Go-Karting. Adrenaline pumping sport racing fun. I was racing amongst 4 guys, no girls whatsoever and they seemed to think I was some kind of punching bag to overtake and bump around. Well I got off the tracks with a few bruises but generally pleased with myself for just plain surviving brutal attacks by English men. :P Ok I'm exaggerating. I had fun and Sam did awesome. He was the fastest racer and even the staff commented on his speed as a good record to have. Blargh... Male Ego. Well afterwards we chilled with Prosciutto, Mozzarella, Toasted Bread, Mackerel and Aubergine Meze, playing cards and backgammon. In the evening he did his badmin (his way of saying bad administration work) while I kicked back with a novel.




 Aah, i think not being alone that day was important. Else, I would just be thinking and rethinking about possibilities, outcomes I do not want to imagine, dwelling on questions I do not know the answer and blaming someone I know not to blame. And yet, one can't help but ask: Why? Why? Why?

Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.

Easier said then done huh.

No comments: