Tuesday, December 04, 2012

61-66: Birthday weekend

First time experiencing Secret Cinema! It's an interactive experience where they transform a disused warehouse/ building/ plot of land to mimic a film and dress everyone up in characters and have actors around engaging with the participants. This was all to replicate the mystery movie that we would be watching.

Sam got tickets more than a month ago and invited me along. It was really cool! Before going, we were given instructions to dress up in a suit to attend trial and were instructed to wear long johns or leggings inside our outfit. We arrived at Bethnal Green Library where we were quickly ushered in to appear before a Judge, who had a very imposing voice and you have to say out your name while he doles out your sentence. My specific crime? I was sentenced to jail for 10 years because of illegal possession of weapons with intent to kill. Yes, dangerous Stacey. :P Sam was sentenced to jail for 8 years because of financial fraud (or somewhere along those lines) which we taught was quite appropriate given his profession.

We collected our library privilege cards which we could use to purchase goodies in jail and were marched single-filed to a bus while a police officer hoarded over us, swearing and even threatening us should we show any contraband items (like cameras or cellphones). The bus brought us to another building which was our "jail". When we went in, we were told to strip off our clothes and wear a prison uniform that looked like washed out jeans jacket and pants. Luckily we had our leggings so we could protect our modesty. But it was cool to have everyone dressed up similarly and we all got into the role and setting pretty quickly. We went to our cells with bunk beds and an inmate started chatting with each of us. He served us drinks based on whoever had library cards. We were then given free rein to explore and walk around the prison, we could go to the canteen and eat dinner, basketball courts to watch fights or the doctor's office. It was fun exploring the place because it was all set up so well!



Well, we were finally brought into a big auditorium to watch the "secret" movie which was shawshank redemption and we snacked on popcorn and beer. At the end of the movie, we were brought back out, changed into our clothes and were released to freedom. It was all so fun!!! I had an amazing Friday night.

Saturday morning I visited Cotswolds! It was amazing to trudge around the countryside and explore the small town of Stow. I really wasnt prepared for it because I have no idea how an English countryside is! I didnt know it was going to be cold and wet and muddy and I should have worn my hiking boots instead of my expensive leather ones.

When I got home, I had to scrape off all the mud from my shoes! Well, at least I have learned a lesson, next time, be appropriately attired for countryside hiking...




And Sunday was pretty much relaxing. Received many many birthday wishes, thanked all of them and was just generally contented. Oh, I thought I should be eating noodles for my birthday so I cooked myself Soba to sorta wish myself longevity. Haha, guess I'm still Chinese wherever I go. :)

No comments: