Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Economy woes

Read the papers today, the physical papers...(it's been a while since the birth of iphones and ipads and online digital versions you can access from your laptop) and started picking up the edge to read too, its not bad!

Besides giving deep insight to companies in Singapore, it also provides analysis of the other global markets and how they impact the economy in Singapore and how my country is unsurprisingly positioned to be the leading financial hub it has always meant to be. At the end of the day, one cannot deny that Asia is growing and developed markets like the US and Europe are declining. The land of opportunities have shifted from the west to the east and if I am seriously considering looking for new places to go... the logical decision should be to look at the region I grew up in and explore from there.

So why am I still not convinced?

Why do I still feel that in order to do what I want to do, which is on matters related to IO psychology, I need to be in a developed market where the businesses are mature enough to acknowledge the need to focus on their resources? In growing markets, how much convincing do I need to do that companies should not just focus on expansion, profits and costs but also about their work operations and people?

There is a reason why IO psych started from the US and UK, it is simply because there is demand for it there and there is a growing attention on it. That was the reason I came to UK because the experts are here. Yes, Asia will need it someday soon but is today that someday soon?

My instinct is telling me to develop my experiences in IO psych in the west before shifting my attention and bringing my expertise to the east. That way, I get more credibility and I do get to learn from the best in the field. The next question I have to answer, is what part of IO psych do I want to get into?






No comments: