Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Chatted with my younger cousins for about an hour

Interesting things they reveal... It's good to see them growing up, forming their own opinions, maturing in some ways and yet still show how young they still are at the end of the day.

One thing we talked about was about communication to the older generation. It was remarked that the older generation always say the same things and they always ask the same questions, much to the annoyance of the younger generation. Well some may say it is because the younger generation always give single replies like "yes, no, fine, whatever, I don't know" which makes the older generation repeat the question until a satisfactory answer is given or until the young gets annoyed and walk off.

I think it takes two hands to clap.

While I do believe that younger people (like myself) should give more details into our answers, provide more insights into our feelings.... my advice for now, actually goes out to the older generation, or even to anyone who wants to start a conversation and maintain it! You want more answers and a more meaningful conversation from the other side?

Ask the right questions in the right way.
Stop asking close-ended questions and ask more thought-provoking questions.

Instead of asking, "how was the trip?" (Which I'm sure all the aunties and uncles would ask my cousins upon their return), why not ask, "What was the most interesting thing you did during the trip? Which part of the trip do you like best, how did the trip make you feel? Tell me more about your experience in UK? Which was the least interesting bit? What did you contribute during the trip?

Similarly, instead of asking "How have you been?" which even I myself fall prey to... why not ask "What have you achieved in the past few weeks? Anything exciting has happened recently? Noticed your facebook wall, you recently went to xxx event, tell me more about it"

 I know between each of us we ask the same routine questions because we simply do not have anything else to go on. I challenge you and I'm also challenging myself to start asking more interesting insightful questions that will make people pause and think and create a more meaningful impression of each other.

No comments: