Monday, March 04, 2013

Whitstable, Caterbury and Herne's Bay

Just came back from a road trip over the weekend. Yours truly was wielding a car in UK all on her own!

1. A little background info about the car company - Zipcar (Skip ahead to see pictures of the trip)
 There's this rental car company here called Zipcar, basically you sign up for a year's membership and you can rent cars at a discounted price. The best part of it is unlike other car rentals, you also get it right at your doorstep because they have so many locations available. The only pain is getting the membership because they are quite vigorous in their checking of records. I had to send over passport copy, visa copy, license copy, go to the Singapore government website to show the I do not have any penalties or points in my name. (Well, all this was pretty easy with a scanner at home!)

But the best and most awesome part of the zipcar is.... You can unlock/ lock the car FROM YOUR PHONE. That's right, they have a special app just for you to unlock the car so you do not have to deliver it to any agency or building. Just put the car back in the parking lot, lock it, make sure you fuel it at least 1/3 tank and you're done! Oh did I mention that fuel charge is on them as well? So you don't pay for fuel, they just charge you for miles driven. Cool eh!

Well, I think the administrative and logistical side of getting a zipcar was part of the thrill. The next part was driving around London with is sneaky roads and inside alleys. I think I did pretty all right though it can get hard maneuvering the car and looking at my GPS at the same time.

2. Marianne invited me to go with her to explore Whitstable which was known for its home grown oysters. Both of us were Oyster fans so we planned this trip weeks ahead! In between, I asked my friend, Eduardo to join me while Marianne asked two others of her friends to join. Our party of 5 set off rather chirpily to Canterbury! Our first stop which was 1.5hr rive away!

3. Canterbury town is a small quaint little village that is famous for its cathedral. And what a truly magnificent cathedral it was! Not only was it breathtaking, it had so many hidden rooms, cloisters, Naves and Columns, each beautifully decorated. The ceilings were so high and when we walked in, we were lucky enough to witness the choir rehearsing complete with its own orchestra. Amazing. Goosebumps when I strolled into the main building.... I felt really peaceful being there and it just reminded me that I am truly in Europe. 


4. After exploring Canterbury, we left for a late lunch towards Whitstable which was just 30mins away. This time, Marianne took the wheel. We parked near the harbor and went into the first seafood shack we saw. Yup, we made a beeline dash for the Oyster cart. £4.20 for half a dozen oysters and we even sampled the Whitstable Oyster which is truly different. It is a mixture between how regular oysters taste but also how raw scallops taste, definitely aligned to my tastebuds! hehe


5. At whitstable harbor, we also saw ramps going down the sea...  I was so excited being near the sea (seriously, I'm such a water person and London isnt exactly around any body of water, and no the Thames river does not count), I started running on the ramp and guess what...

 Stacey's unglam moment when she did not realize how slippery it was and fell. Haha.

You can see my fall shot below.


Well besides the immense bruise im starting to see develop on my thighs, my jeans were now soiled and I have to unfortunately do some laundry when I get back home. Sian.


But i recovered fairly quickly and had more oysters including being photographed sitting ontop of all these oyster shells!!!! 
Overall, I must say it was a good trip, lots of enjoyable moments and a fairly easy drive. It does take a toll on you and I did feel quite knackered after driving the whole day but it was worth it. We all relaxed by eating Vietnamese beef pho, the perfect winter warmer food. What a great way to end the day. :)

No comments: