Thursday, February 28, 2013

Mid-week crisis

I did a Hogan assessment for myself recently, this test essentially figures out your personality and assess them based on how you come across (a.k.a how your reputation is like) and I have been brushing the results quite flippantly to anyone who asks me but...

If i dig deeper...

I can't deny there are some elements of truth in there.

I don't know if its because of my psychology background that makes me numb to these psychological tests or that because of my psychological background I can both prove and disprove each construct they lay out.

so here goes...

My profile says:
  • I am easily stressed 
  • I am extremely self-critica
  • I usually focus on the bad versus the good
  • I  make friends easily but I also lose friends easily
  • I have self-esteem issues
  • I get irritated at people easily
  • I get annoyed at people who do not think or act the way I think they should
  • I have high loyalty to my previous superiors
  • I prefer form over content
  • I have attachment issues (this means I have a disturbed relationship with my family)
  • I don't particularly care about the feelings of other people
  • I enjoy a life of drinking and partying
  • I get bored easily
  • I am flexible and creative
  • I am able to multi-task
  • I have strong values
  • I am diligent
  • I am inquisitive and curious
  • I am smart and can be technically strong if i want to
  • I prefer a job that gives me variety more than money
  • I base my decisions more on intuition than data
  • Right now, I have no idea where my life is going and what I want to do with it
Well, there are alot more and most of it is good but well I tend to disregard the good points and always focus on the bad points (see point number 3) so just put the main ones down. Besides angering me on a few things like low self-esteem and attachment issues, I guess the other thing that the test brought out was a reality check. I thought I would score high on being ambitious but my score was brought low by the last point...

And thats whats hitting me nowadays...

I really have no freaking clue on what I wanna do. And on one hand, I'm bombarded with people forcing down suggestions to me (you should start applying, you should start your own business, you should go back to Accenture, you should see if you want to try something else besides consulting), on the other hand, I have absolutely no motivation to move forward in any direction. I can't bring myself to update my CV and write cover letters. I can't bring myself to apply for internships. I get paralyzed when I think of life beyond London and I do what I do best, I sweep it all under the carpet.

And recently, more and more frequently, the issues resurfaces and I fall into this never-ending cycle of self-doubt, I regress from people and cut off communication around and I sit down and type out my emotions, ready to find yet another distraction so I can sweep this all back again.

Am I truly living? Or have I been living in fear all this time?


No comments: