Friday, December 28, 2007

Sign language

Sometimes, the people closest to you are the ones that turn 180 degrees around and bite your ass when you least expect it. Or at least, thats how they make you feel.

Anyway, I was on a bus yesterday (yes, on a bus) and I saw two hearing impaired couples. They were using sign language to communicate and it was just truly amazing to see their hands move like that! It was really... ok... lets just say you can't help but stare. And staring was what ALL the other passengers on the bus did... some were straining to see what they were doing.

So, using the limited sign language skills I know, i can barely make out their lightning quick conversation... They were talking about the smell on the bus (believe me, anyone who goes up that bus would be talking about it too... it had a mixture of durian and bad facial cream smell) and then discussing which bus stop to alight.

I was amazed... truly amazed. Amazed by the fact that communication is not lost just because someone cant hear. Amazed by the fact that listening to another person meant being still and observing.

I come from a church where signing during worship is welcomed, so you'll see a bunch of people signing during service... Anyone who wants to see this, tell me and I'll bring you to my church one day.

I remember learning sign language and one helper stood up and gave a testimony, she recounted that when she signs during worship, it brings a whole new level to worshipping with heart, body and soul. She also said that "through this, you begin to understand that perhaps, God makes it possible for anyone to worship Him, despite any impairments they might have."

I guess its a whole new meaning to the phrase, "When God closes the door, He opens a window."

No comments: